Click to View
The Trustee communicates issues affecting libraries and library services. Once a library and systems join LTA, all their trustees automatically receive this quarterly publication published by LTA. To learn more about membership in LTA, Click Here.
In This Issue
- ILEAD New York: Helping All Trustees Succeed
- President's Memo
- From the Editor's Desk
- Advocacy Day 2016
- Library Trustees Association (LTA) of New York State presents the 2016 Trustee Institute - May 6th & 7th Every Library is a Small Library: Practices in Planning, Growth, Funding
- System Overview Southern Adirondack Library System
- Get Your Library Questions Answered!
- REGISTER TODAY! Online or return the form in this newsletter.
Advocacy Day 2016
Spring 2016 issue of TrusteeSome 800 constituents from the library world convened in Albany on March 2 to carry this message to their legislators: Libraries are education!
Library professionals, library trustees, and friends of libraries were successful in
(1) meeting with more than 50% of state legislators or their chief staff assistants and
(2) providing a rationale for an increase in library aid to be linked to an increase in education aid.
Enthusiastic advocates filled the well of the Legislative Building for a noon rally to hear Senators and Assembly Members, both Democrat and Republican, express much more than personal support for libraries. The audience cheered to hear speakers repeat our message that libraries are educational institutions and go on to pledge to fight for increased funding for libraries in committee deliberations and budget negotiations.
Long-time supporters, Senator Hugh Farley, Chair of the Select Committee on Libraries, and Assembly Member, Tom Abanati, Assembly Library Committee Chair, joined the activities. Tom Abinanti provided the take-away rally shout-out: Libraries are the front line fighters against isolation, illiteracy, and inequality.
Editor's Note: You'll find more photos and a video of Assemblyman Abanati's rousing speech on our website at www.librarytrustees.org