Click to View
The Trustee communicates issues affecting libraries and library services. Once a library and systems join LTA, all their trustees automatically receive this quarterly publication published by LTA. To learn more about membership in LTA, Click Here.
In This Issue
- President's Memo
- Study: Libraries are Valuable, Yet Vulnerable
- Save The Date
- The New Handbook for New York State Library Trustees: Part One: Trustee Selection and Training
- New York State Library Announces Construction Money for Public Libraries
- State Library Partners in Outreach to Spanish Speaking New Yorkers
- From the Editor's Desk
- NOMINATIONS SOUGHT for VELMA MOORE AWARD - 2007
- From the Chair of the Assembly Standing Committee on Libraries and Education Technology
State Library Partners in Outreach to Spanish Speaking New Yorkers
Fall 2006 issue of Trustee
The New York State Library and the public library systems are participating in a joint Gates Library Foundation / WebJunction national program to promote library outreach to Spanish speaking populations. The program goals are:
- Encourage library use among Spanish speakers
- Help libraries offer programs and resources that serve the needs of the Hispanic population
- Increase use of library public access computers among people who speak Spanish
The State Library is partnering with the New York State Association of Library Boards, the Mid-Hudson Library System, the New York Library Association and the Public Library System Directors Organization to implement this project in New York State.
NYSALB’s partnership will provide a vital link to library trustees through the organization’s newsletter, listserv, and web page. Trustees and library staff from all kinds of libraries (public, school, academic, correctional, special) are encouraged to attend one of the 48 Spanish Language Outreach workshops that are to be scheduled between October 2006 and May 2007. Library Board support of this program will mean greater program success within each community.
The Spanish Language Outreach Program will offer one-day workshops across New York State for some 800 library staff members, trustees and graduate library school students. At the workshops, trustees will learn how to connect with community leaders to bring Spanish speakers into their libraries. Increased use of library services and public access computers for Spanish speakers are additional key components of this training opportunity. More information about this exciting program can be found at the WebJunction Spanish Language Outreach Program website: http://www.webjunction.org/do/Navigation?category=10555 ; at the New York State Library’s Spanish Language Outreach Program web page: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/gateslib/spanish/index.html and from Cassie Artale, Library Development Specialist, New York State Library, email@example.com or 518/474-1479.
Watch for the statewide schedule of workshops on the State Library website October 16, 2006.