Trustee

October 1999

The Trustee communicates issues affecting libraries and library services. Once a library and systems join LTA, all their trustees automatically receive this quarterly publication published by LTA. To learn more about membership in LTA, Click Here.

The Library Circuit: Voorheesville Public Library

October 1999 issue of Trustee

When visiting the Albany metro region, stop in at the nearby Village of Voorheesville, NY and check out the award winning Voorheesville Public Library. On two occasions (1993 and 1998), this library was one of four libraries nationwide to receive "Special Mention" in Library Journal's Library of the Year Award for innovation, creativity and leadership. In 1995, the library was one of six libraries in New York State to receive a Moving Towards Excellence Commendation from the NYS Board of Regents' Advisory Council on Libraries.

The Voorheesville Public Library serves the 7,200 resident school district community which includes the village and Town of New Scotland with a staff of 13.0 (FTEs -27 people). The library's current budget is $574,600 or $79.00 per capita. Residents make about 80,000 visits to the library a year and annually borrow approximately 110,000 items from its holdings of 41,939. "Nearly 8,000 people annually participate in VPL year round programs and its reference librarians answer 10,000 queries a year," according to Library Director Gail Alter Sacco.

A member of the Upper Hudson Library System, the Voorheesville Public Library has formed partnerships with and received funds from organizations both in the region and nationally. Activities at the VPL range from those considered traditional such as providing reader's advisory and reference services to some of the more innovative. The library was among the first of the UHLS libraries to have a homepage and accept questions via e-mail. Of particular pride is the fact that the Voorheesville Public Library's budget requests have never been turned down by the community. The library received its provisional charter in March 1915. It became a school district public library and received an absolute charter in July 1949.


Copyright © 2010-2018 Prominence Solutions     |     Development & Hosting by Prominence Solutions     |     Site Map