Bernard A. Margolis, Assistant Commissioner for Libraries and State Librarian, is pleased to announce the continuation of the current NOVELNY (New York Online Virtual Electronic Library) databases. NOVELNY is an online virtual library connecting New Yorkers to 21st century information via libraries and library systems statewide. NOVELNY is an electronic resource access project that enables libraries across New York State to give their communities online access to the full text of thousands of journals, newspapers and other references.
NOVELNY offers free statewide access to an encyclopedia, strong general reference and periodicals content, issues, business, news and health concentrations, and an interface and content for children. Products were competitively selected to provide the broadest array of desired content for the best value given current resources.
The databases listed below are freely available to over 5,600 public, school, academic and special libraries currently registered for NOVELNY and to individuals who are residents of New York State that visit http://www.novelnewyork.org. If your library is not registered please see the For Librarians link on the website or contact the NOVELNY Help Desk toll-free at 877-277-0250 or in the Capital District at 518- 486-6012.
The databases are available through geoIP authentication (also referred to as geolocation). Geolocation is a method to allow or disallow a user access to a database based on his/her geographic location as determined from their IP address. If a patron is accessing the databases through a library website or the NOVELNY portal while in New York he/she will be able to enter the database without entering a username/password, library card number or a driver license number.
Barring unforeseen circumstances and/or cuts in funding, the following database will be available through July 31, 2016:
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context (Gale Cengage Learning)
- Barring unforeseen circumstances and/or cuts in funding, the following databases will be available
- through June 30, 2017:
- Academic OneFile (Gale Cengage Learning)
- Business Insights: Essentials (Gale Cengage Learning)
- eLibrary Elementary (ProQuest)
- Gannett Newsstand Complete (ProQuest)
- General OneFile (Gale Cengage Learning)
- Health Reference Center Academic (Gale Cengage Learning)
- InfoTrac Newsstand (Gale Cengage Learning)
- Kids InfoBits (Gale Cengage Learning)
- National Newspaper Index (Gale Cengage Learning)
- New York State Newspapers (Gale Cengage Learning)
- Scholastic GO! (includes Encyclopedia Americana, The New Book of Knowledge, Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre, Amazing Animals of the World, The New Book of Popular Science, America the Beautiful, and Lands and Peoples) (Scholastic)
Descriptions of the databases are available at http://novelnewyork.org/factsheets/noveldb.pdf.
Any questions about the resources described above should be sent to: email@example.com.
Provided by the New York State Library, NOVELNY is a Statewide Internet Library connecting New Yorkers to 21st Century information. NOVELNY is supported in part with temporary federal Library Services and Technology Act funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).