Minutes


Click to View
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010
  • 2009
  • 2008
  • 2007
  • 2006
  • 2005
  • 2004
  • 2003
  • 2002
  • 2001
  • LTA Board of Directors Meeting

    2017-03-10

    DRAFT

    March 10, 2017 to March 11, 2017



    Directors


    Present:Adria Ripka, Martha Anderson, Jean Currie, George Wolf, John McCarthy, Edris Scherer, Mary Ellen Darling, Timothy Gavin (Executive Director).
    Excused Absence: Bola Majekodunmi, Phil Archer, Susan Sabers Chapman
    Guests Present: None

    Call to Order:


    President Ripka called the meeting to order at 7:45 pm Friday November 11, 2016

    Public Comment:

    None

    Approval of Minutes:

    Moved by Wolf, seconded by Anderson to approve the minutes of 16 January 2017. Motion Passed.

    President's Report:


    Ripka reported the following: Because of the fewer number we will be doing committee work together

    Executive Director's Report:


    Need to get Brooklyn and Queens aware of LI events Gavin will break up list of systems to be contacted Binghamton is good target because of low membership and upcoming event Advocacy day: Spirits were down because of lack of sense of efficacy Minimum standards proposal tells us we need to be more proactive with library partners to briefed before items affecting our member trustees issues are released. Collaboration and communication always make a path towards a successful outcome more likely.

    Action Item 1: Resolution on HATS


    The Helping All Trustees Succeed curriculum has been endorsed by PULISDO and NYLA. The HATS team, especially given LTA's long-time support would like LTA formally endorse it as well. Anderson, Gavin, and Currie noted that strict endorsement within systems has been sporadic. A motion was made to endorse the HATS training curriculum and promote its use across the state. Currie moved and Wolf seconded. Motion carried.

    The Board recessed at 8:57 pm until Saturday.

    The Board reconvened at 9:01 a.m. on Saturday, 11 March 2017

    Minimum Standards Changes


    Gavin requests that the board review the changes in minimum standards. Asserted that increased standards may not be feasible given that many do not meet current standards. Also there is noted disheartenment that LTA was not put in the loop on the proposed changes prior to distribution. Darling expressed concerns that stricter standards would make the job harder for libraries and trustees.

    Old Business:


    2017 Upcoming Meeting dates as follows:

    April 22 - Phone conference 10:30 (new on schedule) June 9-10 Planning Meeting September 15-16 Albany December 1-2 Albany

    Binghamton 2017 TITK Currie reported the following


    May 6 Broome County Public Library Listed on our website 3 sessions 1h 15m each Topics include Kinds of Reports and Red Flags boards should be looking for, Conflicts of Interest and Separation of Powers, Impact of New Labor Laws, Rethinking Spaces in Your Library to Increase Efficiency Lunch provided by Old World Deli Some systems will be offering scholarships Currie asked if we should include recognition from the STAR program. Tim mentioned that the public recognition component was considered to be one of the most important parts.
    Gavin suggested networking opportunities were considered valuable. Particularly successful ideas from Batavia's TITK were discussed. Concern was expressed about sufficient room size if attendance exceeds expectations.

    Long Island TITK


    August 12 Plainview-Old Bethpage library Gavin contacted Jackie Thresher ED for Nassau system who is on board and enthusiastic
    Joe Eisner will be presenting on due diligence Anderson suggested that 3 presentations was a reasonable number, was concerned about the time of year causing low attendance Gavin said next step is to get interested parties on conference call Anderson said Audits and Efficient Use of space were good topic ideas Gavin suggested Legal topics were good too Scherer mentioned Security on the Internet as a potential subject, as well as open meetings law

    Committee Reports:



    Membership:


    McCarthy and Gavin noted the following: Everyone will do their own and: Jean will take care of 4 County Susan: Chautauqua, Cattaraugus & Nioga Edris: Brooklyn, Queens, Westchester Martha, Suffolk Adria, North Country Mary Ellen, Clinton-Essex-Franklin Invoices are in one file but can be extracted for individual libraries Personal contact is very important

    Communications:


    Darling reported Puts forward something on Facebook at least once a week Tim said we could pay to increase viewership for individual items Edris suggested using the events functions for Facebook for regionals

    Finance:


    Nothing to report, Committee needs to meet (virtually) with Treasurer

    New Business:


    Anderson suggested we discuss issues important to libraries Tim wanted to know about sense of optimism Currie said her experience is that her local libraries are seeing much greater usage
    Scherer said that E-rate funding system changes may bring much more money to libraries, filtering requirements have changed to protect privacy Currie said broadband access for rural libraries is of concern still Evaluating Executive Directors is of concern
    Gavin proposed that a concerted focus on efforts to get trustees to read handbook is important. The board gave consent. Gavin pointed out that one of the new proposed standards requires all libraries to be members of good standing in the system in which they reside

    There being no other business of the board to discuss, a motion to adjourn was made by Wolf and seconded by Scherer at 11:00 . Motion passed.

    Submitted by John McCarthy

    Copyright © 2010-2017 Prominence Solutions     |     Development & Hosting by Prominence Solutions     |     Site Map