Click to View
LTA Board of Directors Meeting
LTA Board of Directors Meeting
Hampton Inn in Albany, NY
Saturday, September 29, 2012
ATTENDANCE: Present: Mary Ellen O'Connor, Kim Garrett, John Eberhardt, Suzanne Stockman, Tish Fontanella, Bob Presutti, George Stamatiades and Adria Ripka. Excused: Bola Majekdunmi and Mark Friden
CALL TO ORDER: Mary Ellen called the meeting to order at 9: 40 am. No Public Comment at this time.
MINUTES: Minutes from the May 2012 meeting will be distributed prior to the November meeting.
Mary Ellen indicated that we have a new board member to approve. John made a motion to approve Bob Presutti for the board beginning his first term. George seconded it. The motion was approved and the vote passed unanimously.
GUEST INTRODUCTIONS: Martha Anderson joined the meeting at 9:45 am. Jeremy Johannesen, NYLA Executive Director, joined the meeting at 10:00 am.
Jeremy offered comments.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Mark was absent and Margaret briefly presented and reviewed the Treasurer's Report. Signature cards for the Morgan Stanley account will be mailed to executive committee members. Report will be filed for the record.
PRESIDENT'S REPORT: Mary Ellen detailed the following items in her report:
* Discussion evolved around our links with attorneys that understand Library law. Mary Ellen suggested we work with NYLA on this. Also we should reach out to Joe Eisner who is not a lawyer but well respected person on library law.
* Mary Ellen asked Kim to take the lead on fund raising for the organization.
* Mary Ellen reviewed committee assignments.
FINANCE: no report
George, with Mary Ellen, presented on the NYLA conference to be held in November. LTA is participating in three ways. We are sponsoring a session, leading a session, and having a booth. Tim will follow up to learn about the booth.
EXECUTIVE: no report
LEGISLATION: no report
George reported on the current status of membership efforts. A mailing will be sent to promote individual memberships using the printed form shared and suggestions were made for the accompanying letter. This will be updated and package mailed by Nov. 1. General membership mailing will be sent mid November. This is consistent with efforts each year.
Mary Ellen asked Martha to present to the board. She expressed interest and shared volunteer and work experience. Mary Ellen will follow up to learn Martha's impression and if she would like to join the board.
Adria spoke on the newsletter and the content of the website (which improves monthly).
Adria agreed to become committee chair for 2012-13.
* Discussion was had relating to the need to hire someone who can dedicate all their time to LTA versus shared consultant like we have currently (replace Margaret Malicki). Adria agreed to volunteer as board lead on this research.
* At this time the proposed by-law changes were discussed. Specifically addressed was the language, as shared by Mark Friden in an email, in Article V, Sec 9; Article VI, Sec 1, 4 and 6; Article VII, Sec 1. John made a motion to change the bylaws as outlined. George seconded the motion.
* NYLA conference was discussed under education.
Next meeting date is November 16th and 17th
Board Meeting Dates in 2013: Jan 12th (phone call), March 1/2, May 3, Sept 13/14
ADJOURNMENT: Mary Ellen adjourned the meeting at 3:12 pm.
Submitted by, Margaret Malicki September 29, 2012