Click to View
LTA Board of Directors Meeting
LTA Board of Directors Meeting
Hampton Inn in Albany, NY
Saturday, March 3, 2012
ATTENDANCE: Present: Mary Ellen O’Connor, Kim Garrett, John Eberhardt, Suzanne Stockman, Mark Friden, Tish Fontanella, Bola Majekodunmi, George Stamatiades, Norm Gallagher and Adria Ripka. Excused: Jim Britell and Sally Swierczek,
CALL TO ORDER: Mary Ellen called the meeting to order at 9: 48 am. No Public Comment.
MINUTES: John made a motion to approve the November 11, 2011 board meeting minutes. George seconded it. The motion was approved unanimously. George made a motion to approve the January 7, 2012 conference call meeting notes. John seconded it. The motion was approved unanimously.
GUEST INTRODUCTIONS: Sarah Dallas joined the meeting at 10:00 am. Tim Gavin joined the meeting at 11:15 am.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Mark presented and reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. It will be filed for the record.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Mary Ellen detailed the following items in her report:
- Regents Task Force Update – Participating on it are System Directors: Rusty Wiig, Tom Binderman, Sarah Dallas and Kevin Verbesy, State Library: Jeff Cannell, Carol Desch, plus Jerry Nichols, John Eberhardt and Mary Ellen O’Connor. Jerry Nichols wrote the syllabus for face to face and online training. The committee is working on the details of certification and Mary Ellen will continue to stay in front of elected officials. The bill should be introduced in 2013 by Advocacy Day.
- Corporate Sponsors – first one is CSArch and they are up and running on website and will be at Institute. George announced that he secured a second, Dignity Memorial Funeral Providers.
FINANCE: no report
EDUCATION: Suzanne presented on the Institute. Details are pretty much finalized. Friday evening should incorporate opportunity to recognize certified trustees. Giveaways may be flash drives for all, pencils, kindle or electronic device. Caps also are good. Photographer is needed this year. V. Moore’s grandson indicated that his mother may be available to present the award.
EXECUTIVE: no report
LEGISLATION: Tish reported on Advocacy Day on Tuesday, March 6.
MEMBERSHIP: The numbers are lagging a bit behind 2011 but renewals continue.
NOMINATING: Mary Ellen, Bola and Sally are up for re-election. LTA received a letter of interest from Eric J. Wiatr, Jr. of Mid-York Library System.
COMMUNICATIONS: Adria spoke on the newsletter and the content of the website (which improves monthly). To make room for advertisers some articles will be reduced from 500 words until we need to add additional pages. Tish spoke on the website. Hits on the site continue to grow. Tim shared areas and ways to get people to our website: Blasts, special posts, webinars and blogging.
AWARDs: Distinguished Service Award – Tish made a motion to name Senator Hugh Farley for this award, six voted in his favor, four voted against. The award will be given to Senator Hugh Farley.
Adria made a motion to nominate the following people for the following awards. John seconded the motion. All voted in favor.
VKM Award – Carol Franzese of Watkins Glen Public Library
Outstanding Trustee Award – Stephen Gaughran of Seaford Public Library
Outstanding Friends Award – Jeanne Petta of Floral Park Library
- At this time the proposed by-law changes were discussed. Specifically addressed was the language relating to director terms. Kim moved to review and possibly change bylaw language in Article IV. John seconded the motion. The board discussed it.
- Three (3) voted in favor, and seven (7) voted against. Motion failed. Article IV remains the same.
- Kim moved to review and possibly change bylaw language in Article 6, Section 1 which discusses officer term limits. John seconded the motion. The board discussed it. Mark called that question and John seconded it.
- Eight (8) voted in favor of the motion, two were opposed. Motion passed.
- Mark made a motion to change the bylaw Article VI, Section 1 to serve no more than four consecutive terms in any one office. John seconded the motion. The board discussed it.
- Six (6) voted in favor of the motion, three (3) were opposed, and there was one abstention. Motion passed.
- Kim made a motion to change Article VI, Section 1 of the by-laws from "no more than four (4) terms in any given office" to "terms of office shall not be restricted". Tish seconded the motion. The board discussed it.
- Nine (9) voted in favor, one opposed. Motion passed.
- Legal counsel for trustees – Mary Ellen is exploring options for law firms to be in relationship with LTA. The goal is to provide legal assistance for trustees.
- June Workshop
- LTA Fundraising – The group discussed the opportunities to raise money around the Institute to help fund LTA operating expenses. Adria made a motion to table the discussion.
- LSTA grant proposed by
- Sarah Dallas of Southern Adirondack Library System came into the meeting to discuss the NY Trustees Online grant and seek LTA support. After her exit, the board discussed the grant at length. Adria made a motion to approve the LSTA NY Trustee Online grant. Suzanne seconded it. Those in favor of supporting the LSTA grant, one. Those opposed, eight. One abstained. The motion failed.
- Rusty Wigg of Southern Tier Library System emailed Mary Ellen seeking LTA support of their grant for continuation of trustee training. George made a motion to approve the LSTA Southern Tier application. John seconded it. Those in favor of supporting, eight. Those opposed, one. Abstained. The motion moved.
2012 meeting dates: May 4/5 (Institute)—meeting will be at 2:00 pm , June 22/23, Sept 7/8, Nov 16/17
ADJOURNMENT: Mary Ellen adjourned the meeting at 3:12 pm.
Submitted by, Margaret Malicki March 3, 2012