Click to View
NYSALB Board of Directors Meeting
Saturday, January 9, 2010
ATTENDANCE: Mary Ellen O’Connor [president], Francis Picart [1st vice president], Rita Reissig [2nd vice president], Suzanne Stockman [secretary], Arnie Elman [treasurer], Mark Friden, Joan Hurley, Norm Gallagher, Bola Majekodunmi, Sam Patton, Adria Ripka, and Brian Steele.
EXCUSED: Sally Swierczek
CALL TO ORDER: Mary Ellen O’Connor called the meeting to order at 9:09 am. No Public Comment.
MINUTES: A. Elman made a motion to approve the November 14, 2010 meeting minutes. G. Stamatiades seconded it. The motion was approved unanimously.
TREASURER’S REPORT: A. Elman presented and reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. It will be filed for the record.
GUEST INTRODUCTIONS: No guests.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Mary Ellen O’Connor detailed the following items in her report:
1) She will write a brochure on “Why Become a Library Trustee” in response to an offer of donated printing. Circulation of this brochure will be through libraries and systems as well as posting it on the website.
2) She has reviewed the Trustee Handbook and is working with J. Nichols on edits.
3) J. Nichols invited NYSALB to sponsor the Joseph Shubert Award given at the NYLA conference. Discussion followed and M. O’Connor will learn if we are the sole sponsor at $1,000 (or what is the award amount total), could she serve on the advisory committee to choose the award, and could one of our trustees actually present the award.
S. Patton made a motion to authorize the president to enter into agreement not to exceed $1,000 and proceed after she learns answers to items outlined above. G. Stamatiades seconded it. The motion moved, 9 yes, 2 abstained, 2 no.
4) She asked permission to meet with Bernie Margolis and Carol Desch to discuss the Trustee Training Legislation. She would like to amend the bill to provide online training. It would not erase the financial component but significantly reduce it. There was board consensus to allow the President to discuss it.
BUDGET, FINANCE AND PLANNING: No report.
F. Picart reported on the NYSALB role in the NYLA conference. NYSALB identifies and sponsors one to two programs for the annual conference. This includes lining up the speakers. The topics will be:
1. Confidentiality Basics
2. How to Run a Board Meeting
The motion was made by G. Stamatiades to expand our sponsorship from $250 to $500 to identify and sponsor a second session at the annual NYLA conference. Motion carried.
Rita Reissig presented the update on the Institute.
EXECUTIVE: No report.
LEGISLATION AND POLICY: F. Picart presented earlier.
MEMBERSHIP: At the time, G. Stamatiades was not available to make this report.
NOMINATING: No report.
PUBLIC RELATIONS/NEWSLETTER/WEBSITE: A motion was made by B. Steele and seconded by S. Stockman to hire Jarrod Baker of Prominence Web Solutions for website development. Motion carried.
VELMA MOORE AND DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD: Suzanne Stockman gave an update on the Velma Moore Award which has four nominations to date. She asked if we would consider increasing the award amount to $1,000 from $750.
A motion was made by S. Stockman and seconded by B. Steele to increase the Velma Moore Award to $1,000. All approved unanimously.
She asked if the Distinguished Service Award may have two winners, and that can be done. Herb Biblo’s resume was passed around for the directors to consider. The directors will email Suzanne with their vote.
OLD BUSINESS: A motion was made by B. Steele and seconded by M. Friden to authorize the executive committee to work with the graphic designer on the new logo with recommendations discussed and for the board to vote electronically for a final version and no response is a vote of ‘no response’.
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn was made by S. Stockman. Mary Ellen O’Connor adjourned the meeting at 1:10
Margaret Malicki January 9, 2010