Adria Ripka, Martha Anderson, George Wolf, John McCarthy, Phil Archer, Edris Scherer, Susan Chapman, Mary Ellen Darling,Timothy Gavin (Executive Director).
Call to Order:
President Ripka called the meeting to order at 10:04 am January 16, 2017
Approval of Minutes:
Moved by Wolf, seconded by Scherer to approve the minutes of November 2016. Motion Passed.
Moved by Wolf, seconded by Archer to approve the Treasurer’s report. Motion Passed.
Gavin reported the following:
Revenue is $10K over expenditures; Fiscal restraint has paid off.
Membership is up dramatically, Buffalo/Erie is renewing for 3 years
Ripka reported the following:
- She is concerned about her availability for the next few months but it shouldn’t be too much of a problem
- Committees will meet Friday nights after their initial reports to work.
Executive Director’s Report:
Gavin reported the following:
- Administrative work is still a big time consumer, but the new graduate intern will help with this.
- Online forms are coming for meetings and memberships.
- Looking for presentation ideas for 2018 Institute in LI
- Looking for website story ideas to send to Mary Ellen
Anderson noted the following:
- Binhamton TITK progressing, Broome County Library May 6
March 1, 2017 is the next Legislative Action Day
- $4 million increase from last year’s state budget for libraries may be stripped by Governor
- NYLA is dealing with new leaders in legislature and may be harder to deal with.
- All plans ready for LAD
- Mary Ellen, Martha, Tim, and John plan on attending
- Tim will be preparing list of contacts
- Let Tim know who you’ve contacted
- New Star program is listed in the newest newsletter
- Mary Ellen is looking for feedback/testimonials re being an LTA member
- Star program up and running
- Maybe do some recognition at TITK event
- Can turn logo into pin
- Martha- We already have a bunch of pins. May not have enough response to justify new pin order at this time.
- Next library board meeting try to get your trustees to fill in form
- Tim- A record of trustee training will be helpful and appreciated. At some point in the future it mayl be required.
2017 Meeting dates as follows:
- March 10-11 Albany
- May 13 – Phone Conference
- June 9-10 Planning Meeting
- September 15-16 Albany
- December 1-2 Albany
Tim- Let me know if there are any conflicts with any meeting dates.
Binghamton 2017 TITK
- Martha – Some after action report should be released after event.
- Adria will reserve room block at hotel
- Registration 10-11:15
- Catering 11:30 – 12:15
- 3 sessions after lunch until 4
Long Island TITK
- Director has been contacted and is excited, Date not yet determined – getting input.
Development of Ad Hoc committees:
- We should bring in local people to help with events
- May help us find new LTA Directors
- Brand new session (2 year cycle)
- All old, unpassed legislation expires
- NYLA monitors all library legislation
- Not much to do until session starts and they start bringing in new legislation
There being no other business of the board to discuss, a motion to adjourn was made by Wolf and seconded by Archer. Motion passed.
Submitted by John McCarthy