The Library Trustees Association of New York (LTA) presents awards each year at its Trustee Institute. This year, that Trustee Institute is held May 1st & 2nd, 2015, at the DoubleTree Hotel, East Syracuse, NY. Nominations for awards are accepted until March 6, 2015.
Velma K. Moore Award
Any individual or group of individuals who has made exemplary contributions to the development of library services in New York State is eligible for nomination. These nominees may be public library trustees, library boards or any group of library supporters. Nominations can be made by anyone in the library community.
Criteria for Evaluating Nominees
- Measurable service to local, county, system or state libraries, advancing the effectiveness of these libraries.
- Service in areas of legislation or other support that advances library issues with local, state or federal government.
- Promotional services through publishing, speaking or involvement in professional or lay library groups or organizations.
- Service to State or national library organizations, e.g. Library Trustee Association, United for Libraries, New York Library Association, American Library Association.
- Service on State study committees.
The Award, a $1500 cash prize and award, will be presented to the recipient’s library or system of choice. The Award will be presented to the winner at the LTA TRUSTEE INSTITUTE, May 1st & 2nd, 2015, at the DoubleTree Hotel, East Syracuse, NY.
The Velma K. Moore Award was established to honor the memory of Velma Moore, one of the charter members of the Library Trustees Foundation of New York State (later NYSALB and now LTA) and wife of former New York State Lt. Governor Frank C. Moore. Mrs. Moore worked actively for the improvement of library service in New York State from 1947 until her death in 1961. Mrs. Moore served two terms as president and was a member of the Board from its establishment. For thirty-three years Mrs. Moore was a Trustee of the Kenmore Public Library near Buffalo, New York.
The award was originally established in 1962, and is made annually with a gift from the Moore family
One award for an Outstanding Trustee and one award for an Outstanding Friend, from the systems participating in each year’s Trustee Institute (in 2015, they are Onondaga, Mid-York, North Country, and Finger Lakes). The awards will be presented during the May 2015 Trustee Institute May 1st & 2nd, 2015, at the DoubleTree Hotel, East Syracuse, NY.
This award will be presented to a public library trustee who has shown a true understanding of the role of a trustee and has demonstrated unusual dedication and expertise to carrying out that role.
This award will be presented to an individual in a Friends group who has given extraordinary service as a Friend in recognition of those efforts to make our libraries a vibrant, active, and essential force in our communities.
Nominations may be submitted online by filling out the following form(s):
Statewide Award: Velma K. Moore Nomination Form (Click Here)
Regional Awards: Outstanding Trustee or Friend Nomination Form (Click Here)
The letter of nomination should include:
- Name and address of nominee.
- Affiliation (library, system, elected official, etc.).
- A statement of not more than 250 words on the reason for the nomination.
- Your name and contact information.
Nominations may also be submitted:
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
by mail to:
LTA Awards Committee
7872 County Rd 153
Interlaken, NY 14857
Deadline for receipt of nominations is MARCH 6, 2015