Library Trustees Association of New York
Friday, August 17, 2018 to Saturday, August 18, 2018
Adria Ripka, Martha Anderson, Jean Currie, George Wolf, Edris Scherer, Bola Majekodunmi, Phil Archer, Susan Sabers Chapman, Mary Ellen Darling
John McCarthy, Recording Secretary, Tim Burke, Jeremy Johannesen
Call to Order:
President Ripka called the meeting to order at 7:20 pm Friday August 17, 2018
Anderson presented the idea of starting a partnership with NYLA. Johannesen presented the structures of different potential partnerships.
- LTA as a NYLA Section
- Library Trustees as NYLA-LTA members as an additional organizational fee to advance the mission of LTA (LTA as NYLA section)
- NYLA as a provider of Operational Services
- Questions centered on fee structures to allow for continued budgetary independence
- Voting on section status would be at the NYLA convention in November or next Jun
- Petitions would be need to be filled by September 14th
Ripka reported the following:
- Multiple invoices have to be paid
The Board recessed at 9:45 pm until Saturday.
Saturday morning agenda: 9:13
Call to order
John and Bola absent due to banking tasks.
- Mailing status: periodic – 4 mailings a year for special rates
- newsletter – 3 this year – adding October -need one more piece to get the rate
- Adria explained newsletter process with a updated membership list as of January 2018
- Adria is asking help with addresses for mailing- Edris, Susan, and Jean volunteered to help
- Meeting dates – 2019
Jan 12 – conference call
- review board member information and terms of office – some coming off, general consensus to suspend the terms limits and continue with the current board members
- nominations for trustees and officers are due for November meeting Approval of Minutes: Moved by George, seconded by Phil to approve the minutes of 22-23 June 2018. Motion Passed. Changes – Martha has cash, not Mary Ellen
- Website updates – Mary Ellen reviewed Betsy’s notes on the status. Major issues are updating membership from this year and updating the new trustee handbook
Add all current events – for the month featuring webinars, etc
Make sure all links to libraries, systems are intact, use of map to give info too.
October newsletter features: hightlight programs we are sponsoring and co-sponsoring. Share our table info – update membership info at NYLA- Jean will write it up
add Legislative info for next year.
Morgan Stanley money market accts – Adria contacted them, the exec committee had to sign off and fill out forms. Needed physical address, Adria used hers. Need to change this as officers change.
Review of budget – 2018
- Bola went to a BofA and retrieved financial information and changed information on accounts, ordered checks and debit card
- Discussion centered on what LTA would continue to pay if it became a section of NYLA
Recess at 12:16
Returned at 1:30
- Become a section of NYLA
- Become a section of NYLA with membership alterations
- Have NYLA become administrative
- Engage an Interim ED
Archer made a motion to instruct NYLA to immediately begin the process of making the LTA a section of NYLA based on option two of NYLAs presentation. George seconded.
George moved to adjourn at 2:15, Phil seconded, vote was unanimous.
- Jean, Martha, Mary Ellen, Phil, George, Susan, Adria will be attending
Next meeting: November 30- Dec 1 Upper Hudson System Library