DEADLINE: February 15, 2013
The Library Trustees Association of New York State is seeking nominations for the Velma K. Moore Award to be presented at the Trustee Institute, May 3-4, 2013 in Buffalo, NY.
The award, presented annually at the Trustee Institute, carries a cash prize of $750, which is given to the recipient’s library of choice. The award is granted to individuals or a group of individuals who have made exemplary contributions to the development of library services in NYS. Nominees may include trustees, a community member, staff or any group of library supporters. Please note the following: current LTA directors are NOT eligible and previous LTA directors cannot be considered for the award until one year after leaving the LTA Board.
Criteria for evaluating nominees include:
- service to local, county, system or state libraries which measurably advances the effectiveness of these libraries;
- service in areas of legislation or other support that advances library causes;
- promotion services through publishing, speaking or involvement in professional or lay library groups or organizations;
- service to state or national library organizations; and/or service on state study committees.
This is a wonderful opportunity to recognize the efforts of someone committed to bettering library services. Nominations may be submitted by either email or mail. The official email address for nominations is: firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitting nominations to any other email will not be accepted. Please put Velma K. Moore award in the subject line for emailed nominations. The DEADLINE for nominations is February 15, 2013. The letter of nomination should include the following for the person nominated: name, address, telephone number, his/her library affiliation, and a statement of no more than 250 words regarding the reason for their nomination. The submitter should also include his/her name, address, telephone number, and email.
Questions regarding the award may be directed to Adria Ripka at email@example.com.
* The Velma K. Moore Award was established with a gift from the Moore family in 1962 to honor the memory of Velma Moore, the wife of former NYS Lt. Governor Frank C. Moore.. From 1947 until her death in 1961, Velma actively worked to improve library services in New York State. She was a member of LTA from its establishment, and served two terms as its president. In addition, she served as a trustee for many years at the Kenmore Public Library.