Meeting Minutes Friday, March 10, 2017 to Saturday, March 11, 201

DRAFT

March 10, 2017 to March 11, 2017

Directors

Present:Adria Ripka, Martha Anderson, Jean Currie, George Wolf, John McCarthy, Edris Scherer, Mary Ellen Darling, Timothy Gavin (Executive Director).

Excused Absence: Bola Majekodunmi, Phil Archer, Susan Sabers Chapman

Guests Present: None

Call to Order:

President Ripka called the meeting to order at 7:45 pm Friday November 11, 2016

Public Comment:

None

Approval of Minutes:

Moved by Wolf, seconded by Anderson to approve the minutes of 16 January 2017. Motion Passed.

President’s Report:

Ripka reported the following:
Because of the fewer number we will be doing committee work together

Executive Director’s Report:

Need to get Brooklyn and Queens aware of LI events
Gavin will break up list of systems to be contacted
Binghamton is good target because of low membership and upcoming event
Advocacy day: Spirits were down because of lack of sense of efficacy
Minimum standards proposal tells us we need to be more proactive with library partners to briefed before items affecting our member trustees issues are released. Collaboration and communication always make a path towards a successful outcome more likely.

Action Item 1: Resolution on HATS

The Helping All Trustees Succeed curriculum has been endorsed by PULISDO and NYLA. The HATS team, especially given LTA’s long-time support would like LTA formally endorse it as well.

Anderson, Gavin, and Currie noted that strict endorsement within systems has been sporadic.

A motion was made to endorse the HATS training curriculum and promote its use across the state.

Currie moved and Wolf seconded. Motion carried.

The Board recessed at 8:57 pm until Saturday.
The Board reconvened at 9:01 a.m. on Saturday, 11 March 2017

Minimum Standards Changes

Gavin requests that the board review the changes in minimum standards. Asserted that increased standards may not be feasible given that many do not meet current standards. Also there is noted disheartenment that LTA was not put in the loop on the proposed changes prior to distribution.

Darling expressed concerns that stricter standards would make the job harder for libraries and trustees.

Old Business:

2017 Upcoming Meeting dates as follows:

April 22 – Phone conference 10:30 (new on schedule)
June 9-10 Planning Meeting
September 15-16 Albany
December 1-2 Albany

Binghamton 2017 TITK Currie reported the following

May 6 Broome County Public Library
Listed on our website
3 sessions 1h 15m each
Topics include Kinds of Reports and Red Flags boards should be looking for, Conflicts of Interest and Separation of Powers, Impact of New Labor Laws, Rethinking Spaces in Your Library to Increase Efficiency
Lunch provided by Old World Deli
Some systems will be offering scholarships
Currie asked if we should include recognition from the STAR program. Tim mentioned that the public recognition component was considered to be one of the most important parts.

Gavin suggested networking opportunities were considered valuable. Particularly successful ideas from Batavia’s TITK were discussed.
Concern was expressed about sufficient room size if attendance exceeds expectations.

Long Island TITK

August 12 Plainview-Old Bethpage library
Gavin contacted Jackie Thresher ED for Nassau system who is on board and enthusiastic

Joe Eisner will be presenting on due diligence
Anderson suggested that 3 presentations was a reasonable number, was concerned about the time of year causing low attendance
Gavin said next step is to get interested parties on conference call
Anderson said Audits and Efficient Use of space were good topic ideas
Gavin suggested Legal topics were good too
Scherer mentioned Security on the Internet as a potential subject, as well as open meetings law

Committee Reports:

Membership:

McCarthy and Gavin noted the following:
Everyone will do their own and:
Jean will take care of 4 County
Susan: Chautauqua, Cattaraugus & Nioga
Edris: Brooklyn, Queens, Westchester
Martha, Suffolk
Adria, North Country
Mary Ellen, Clinton-Essex-Franklin
Invoices are in one file but can be extracted for individual libraries
Personal contact is very important

Communications:

Darling reported
Puts forward something on Facebook at least once a week
Tim said we could pay to increase viewership for individual items
Edris suggested using the events functions for Facebook for regionals

Finance:

Nothing to report, Committee needs to meet (virtually) with Treasurer

New Business:

Anderson suggested we discuss issues important to libraries
Tim wanted to know about sense of optimism
Currie said her experience is that her local libraries are seeing much greater usage

Scherer said that E-rate funding system changes may bring much more money to libraries, filtering requirements have changed to protect privacy
Currie said broadband access for rural libraries is of concern still
Evaluating Executive Directors is of concern

Gavin proposed that a concerted focus on efforts to get trustees to read handbook is important. The board gave consent.
Gavin pointed out that one of the new proposed standards requires all libraries to be members of good standing in the system in which they reside

There being no other business of the board to discuss, a motion to adjourn was made by Wolf and seconded by Scherer at 11:00 . Motion passed.

Submitted by John McCarthy

Comments are closed.